2019 Novel Coronavirus
In December 2019, the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) emerged in the city of Wuhan, China. The novel coronavirus is a new strain of coronavirus that produces respiratory illness. This new virus is spreading around the world. On March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 a pandemic. Symptoms of COVID-19 range from mild to severe and can include fever, cough, difficulty breathing, pneumonia and kidney failure. In many cases, clients recover and in very severe cases, it may cause death.
The NSCRT is closely monitoring this rapidly evolving situation. The Board of Directors has approved a pandemic plan and established an Operation Emergency Team (OET) to execute the emergency response.
Respiratory Therapists have a critical role to play in the management of COVID-19 patients. The NSCRT is keeping abreast of this rapidly evolving situation and is committed to providing members with the most up to date information. For more information, follow the links below.
- NSCRT 2020 Pandemic Plan
- Duty to Provide Care
- Educational Resources
- NSCRT Practice Guideline Related to Respiratory Therapists’ Requirements for Minimizing the Spread of COVID-19
- Approved NSCRT Recommendations for Respiratory Therapists in the Community Care and Clinic Setting
- CTS_CSRT Guideline COVID 19 and Pulmonary Function Testing - updated December 2020
- NACI Rapid Response Interchangeability of Authorized COVID-19 Vaccines and Summary of Rapid Response
- Updated 8Oct2021: Health Protection Act Order by the CMOH
- CMOH Mandatory Vaccine Protocol in High Risk Settings
- From the Office of the CMOH Nov24, 2021 - Summary of Use Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 Vaccines
Contact the Registrar at email@example.com
- Nova Scotia COVID-19 Vaccine Program - Information for Health Care Professionals - Update August 5, 2021
- NSHealth COVID-19 Research and Learning Opportunities https://library.nshealth.ca/COVID19Research/Home
- NSHealth COVID-19 Wave Rapid Reviews https://library.nshealth.ca/RSRapidReviews
- The AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD COVID-19 Vaccine Important Information Patient Handout
- The COVID-19 Vaccine Information and After Care Sheet
- COVID-19: Guidance for Health Care Sector
- Government of Nova Scotia Information on COVID-19
- Province of Nova Scotia Coronavirus Alerts
- Government of Canada Information on COVID-19
- Government of Canada Information on COVID-19 for Health Professionals
- Information on self-isolation
- Live stream updates on COVID-19
- Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists: Coronavirus - What do RTs need to know?
- Information on testing: http://www.nshealth.ca/coronavirustesting
- Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology guidance link for health care professionals regarding vaccination in individuals with confirmed or suspected allergic conditions (question 39)
- Information on vaccines and resources from the DHW